Pages

Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Can you see it? Not yet.

Step lightly as you make your way through this world.

Good advice and a place wherein I, later in my life, try to reside. It's good advice because, no matter how lightly we try to step, we bump into one another. So, it's best to have a goal of minimizing bruising.

However, I find I have caused a bad case of Artist's Block.

My Small Bright Creature stories. They have been crying out for illustrations to go with them, to fit with the day the SBC spends seeking adventure. To suggest I have no talent for drawing would be to understate to a level I have never reached - and I do understatement well (and frequently).

So, we have a friend in Kansas City, MO. An artist. Most assuredly so. Would he mind taking a look at the stories and doing illustrations for them?

But of course.

And he has been driven to distraction ever since. I suppose it doesn't help that I neglect to describe the SBC in the stories. Nor could I describe it even if I wanted to.

Richard has been searching for a visual theme that will pull the stories together. He is working his way through the Children's Literature canon and numerous sketches. And is not happy with the results. And I can't help him.

Well, he is on his adventure now, as I was writing the stories.

Step lightly as you make your way through this world.

But don't forget to seek adventure.

4 comments:

  1. That is soooo hard. I think that each of us who have read them ( as I remember the comments) has had a different picture in our minds of what SBC looks like. Illustrations will be a wonderful addition to your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too true, Laura - both the difficulty and the fact that illustrations will add so much. I wish I could be of help, but I cannot.

    But, frustrating as it is for him, I suspect Richard is enjoying the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always sort of envisioned SBC as either a rabbit or a hedgehog. In a blue coat. Don't ask me why a blue coat.

    We have a hedgehogs living in our neighborhood, and their personalities seem to fit him well.

    Good luck on the illustrations. They would make a lovely illustrated book. You have a true friend there in Richard.
    ~jon

    ReplyDelete
  4. A blue coat? Well, you asked me not to ask, so I won't. :)

    I agree, I think the set of stories with illustrations would be great. Poor Richard agrees - but it's driving him nutz!

    ReplyDelete