Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

S is for...

...Science Fiction.

I grew up on classic Science Fiction books. My father had a collection of magazines and books that dated from the early, "Golden Age" of the genre. Thus was my taste and interest formed. There are too many authors to name, and I am certain to leave some out/forget some.

But Clarke, Asimov, van Vogt, Simak, Dick, Stapledon, Anderson, Farmer, le Guin - these are the names, the old and faded books, that fired my imagination. And they do still.

As I mentioned in the "R is for..." entry, I will read anything that may be found between book covers. But Science Fiction remains an early and enduring love.

I'm prepared to watch much of Science Fiction that's delivered on TV and film - but reading it remains a greater passion.

4 comments:

  1. Sci/fi is my first love as well. Movies, though...I lean more towards 'destruction of the Earth' in any form. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the phrase, "an early and enduring love." I think mine would be the movies. It's an escape for me like a book is.
    Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura: I'll put your fondness for such movies to undue influence of Jezebel, yes?

    Manzanita: Sometimes a happy phrase unearths itself. I agree with the idea of escape. What's all this "reality" stuff anyway? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I haven't read a lot of sci-fi, but that is what I prefer to write these days (and what I prefer to watch). I'm obsessed with space and I want to go to Mars.
    ~2

    ReplyDelete