Pages

Saturday, April 07, 2012

F: Fado, Fados

Fado, not "Fadó, fadó...", which in the language of the Irish (Gaelic) Storyteller means "Long, long ago..." or, more freely translated, "Once upon a time..."


No, Fado is a type or style of song from Portugal, and all parts of the world Portuguese. A style of which I have become fond. Well, there's a romantic element, a melancholy element. How could I not?

I first ran across the form in the film, Fados. A musical, of sorts. It's made up of a series of performances of Fado - including rap! The film is visually and musically stunning. And I became fascinated with the musical form.




A modern exemplar of it is Ana Moura. I missed her concert when she was here in San Francisco last year. But I do own the CD. And it makes for wonderful listening.





By the way, there's a belief that Fado, as a word, has something to do with Destiny - or Fate. And so, a tie-in with the A to Z "F" entry by Laura Eno - The Fates.

9 comments:

  1. I'd never heard of this before - see Kevin I told you you were educating me. ^__^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't run across it till early last year, Helen. But I do like the form. And portuguese has a sensual quality to the language - what's not to like? :-)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the mention! I haven't heard of Fado. Romantic, melancholy, destiny - I wonder if it has gypsy roots as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to include the mention, Laura. As to gipsy roots, I really don't know. But some of the songs can be haunting.

      Delete
  3. I'm of Portuguese descent but I don't care for fado. Though I do quite like the sound of the Portuguese guitar. Are you familiar with Carlos Paredes' music? Here's one of my faves of his: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSTN9zf5S2c Man, I just LOVE THIS! :-)

    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I *like*!

      I wasn't familiar with Carlos Paredes at all - I'd never heard the name. Thank you for the pointer to that recording. I need to find out more about his music.

      Delete