Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Practice makes...well, something happen...

...and that's all that can be said about it. I recall being told a long time ago that "only the practice of perfection makes perfect". I'm not sure I agree with that but I will assert that practicing with attention makes for improvement.


So, to that end I have started a "writing streak" - as suggested by Dean Wesley Smith. The intent, to write at least 500 words, two pages, of new fiction each day, every day. And the writing streak comes into its own when 30 days have passed. So far 10 days have passed.


There are stories to be told. Some of them are running around my head. And, as I once wrote, "the words have to be there [on the page] to start with". Else, the story is not told.


Am I a storyteller? I was once told I was (in a tone that suggested this was not a compliment). My father was one. He read some of what I had written and made suggestions - none of which were that I should stop.


I continue the practice I began in November. I write longhand with a fountain pen. It is the only thing that forces me to focus. The transcription to computer comes later.


Let's see where this takes me.



No comments:

Post a Comment