Pages

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Elementary my dear...

I am not sure if I should be offended or not. There is a website that purports to rate the reading level of blogs. This blog was rated as Elementary School.


My previous blog, http://kjmackey.spaces.live.com/, is rated as having a reading level of Junior High School.


I am not at all sure what this means. The link for this test is: The Blog Readability Test.


Should I use more, and larger, words? More complex sentence structures?


I remember being told, many years ago, that I wrote as I spoke. I recall the tone of voice too - it conveyed astonishment. Even then I was not at all sure what that meant.


Well, for what it is worth, it seems that the reading level required for understanding what I write in my blog has come down since I abandoned Microsoft's Live Spaces and moved to TypePad.


I recall the reason was to make things easier for me. If an added bonus is that readers have an easier time, so be it.


Interestingly enough, the blog http://rjchristopher.blogspot.com, is rated at Genius level. Well now.




4 comments:

  1. I *like* your writing style. And perhaps Mr. RJChristopher gets points for all the telepathic writing he does?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks Liz, glancing through my more recent posts I notice a couple of Greek words. I'm impressed with what they teach in Elementary School these days!
    As for Mr. RJChristopher, I do not know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, what a shame. The site seems to be having difficulties with its database. I just get a database login failure.
    I have used Website Grader, and was told that the reading level was High School. They thought that was a bad thing. So you should be in great shape.
    ~jon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ~jon. I might check out Website Grader although, in truth, my blog is hardly in the ranks of highly-trafficked and I know many of my readers, all of whom can handle Elementary School level if not a good deal beyond that.
    Although, run-on sentences, such as the above, may draw comment. :-}

    ReplyDelete