Pages

Friday, March 20, 2009

Equal parts day and night

I could have been born a Gemini. That would be a simpler explanation of the facets. I know one such - and a twin she is (all by herself).


But no, on the cusp instead. Of water and fire signs. Of personal and universal signs.


At a time in the year when seasons change, when day and night are matched in length.


It all means nothing, of course - and everything.


There is a poem of mine, echoing one of my father's, that contains the following:


perhaps a mirror cracked

which would explain the many reflections that are mine.


I'm not sure the second line scans as I might wish it to, but it tried to capture the feeling I have of being an assembly of images.


We all have facets to ourselves. I make no claim for uniqueness, beyond the uniqueness we all share (a wondrous contradiction in terms). There is not one of us (oh, how true that is) who is a simple and singular personality.


Some come closer than others. Some are more integrated, a refreshing what-you-see-is-what-is-deep-within (not what-you-see-is-what-you-get nor the depressing what-you-see-is-all-there-is).


The more integrated are few and a joy to know.


But, there is beauty in quicksilver and I have known those with that quality.


And me - on this day of ending and beginning, two fish chasing their tails on the cusp of becoming a hard-headed ram - I'm glorying in the multiplicity of symbols.


That very multiplicity is the best symbol of all.




No comments:

Post a Comment